If you run a business without a registered trade mark, your competitors could:
- Register your trade mark, forcing you to rebrand;
- Conduct business using your trade mark or a very similar trade mark, deriving benefit from and/or damaging your reputation.
Without a registered trade mark, your brand is completely insecure. A registered trade mark:
- Belongs to you, so you can sell it, or let other people have a licence that allows them to use it;
- Will help to put people off using your trade mark without your permission;
- Lets you take action against anyone using your trade mark without permission;
- Allows the authorities to bring criminal charges against counterfeiters.